Classifications of Water
When it comes to damage, all water is not created equal. From a burst pipe or a flood, it’s important to understand how each type of water must be treated differently. SERVPRO of Abilene can identify the differences for you.
Classifications of Water
Water is typically classified into three groups—clean, gray, and black.
- Clean Water:Clean water includes rainwater and water from broken pipes. You may also hear clean water referred to as white water. This water is safe to touch. Clean water can become gray water after around 48 hours.
- Gray Water:Gray water refers to slightly contaminated water that needs to be thoroughly treated before it is safe to consume. Sources of gray water include dishwashers, aquariums, showers, etc. It does not contain bacteria that are as harmful as those found in black water. Gray water usually progresses into black water after about 48 hours if it is not treated.
- Black Water:Black water is highly contaminated and contains harmful chemicals and biological matter. Sewage waters are considered black water. When it comes to floods, it should be assumed that all water is black water since a flood picks up contaminants along its path. Contact with black water can lead to serious illness.
The Process of Mold Remediation
Mold is a fungus, and it grows virtually everywhere on Earth. Lately, mold has become a hot topic because of increasing awareness about its potential health hazards. People aren’t exactly sure how many mold species there are, but estimates range anywhere between tens of thousands to over a few hundred thousand. Some of these different types aren’t dangerous to human health, while others lead to chronic and severe health conditions.
In as little as 48 hours, a minor mold issue can quickly spread through a home or business. Once you contact us, we’re dedicated to starting the remediation process quickly. This fast response lessens the mold damage, limits additional damage, and reduces the remediation cost.
Call SERVPRO of Abilene - 325-672-5661
Mold Can Be Tricky to Spot
Nobody wants to hear the word mold. Since our youth we have been taught mold is bad and harmful to your health. If you have mold on your food you throw it away. If mold is in the air you pray for rain and head to the drug store for sinuses medicine. If mold is involved there is a problem, especially if it is in your house. But, luckily for everyone mold can be remediated. People forget there are mold spores all around us outside all the time. The purpose of a house is to protect you from the outside elements like keeping mold spores in nature. Some individuals are more sensitive to allergies than others. Good thing mold remediation is a common practice and can be done in a timely manner with some simple steps.
First and foremost, the moisture source of the mold growth must be eliminated or fixed before cleaning can begin. If you notice a water leak, please contact a plumber immediately.
Mold remediation can simplified into three steps:
- Control Environment-Set up containment, air filtration equipment and negative air flow to control environment and prevent further contamination.
- Remove and Clean- Remove and properly dispose of all porous materials contaminated with mold. Clean all nonporous materials contaminated with mold, HEPA vacuum, and apply anti-microbial agent.
- Dry Structure- Dry structure to reduce moisture levels below that which enables growth. Obtain final clearance testing from Indoor Environmental Professional (IEP).
SERVPRO of Abilene specializes in mold remediation for both commercial and residential buildings. If you notice mold growing in your home or business, please give us a call today at (325)672-5661.
Commercial vs Residential
Here at SERVPRO of Abilene we have the opportunity to work with some great individuals and companies. One of the main goals for SERVPRO as a whole is to have heavy and genuine influence and presence in the communities and Counties. The franchise is able to keep that rapport with business owners and homeowners alike. Being able to access both commercial and residential accounts allows growth not just at a monetary level but also growth within the community. One of the driving forces behind SERVPRO's success is the way in which the brand converses with its clients. From being there one on one with a homeowner helping them through the mitigation process to meeting with Centers of Influence on large commercial accounts. Creating Emergency Ready Plans for their businesses and making them feel at ease when it comes to disaster restoration. The opportunities for SERVPRO are endless and it allows our reach of services to continue to grow and develop.
Do You Have a Storm Plan?
In recent years, many different types of disasters have affected the United States. Flooding, tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires and blizzards are natural disasters that can threaten your home, business and community. Your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professionals want you and your customers to be aware of the steps to take to help prepare for Mother Nature's worst.
Right now is the perfect opportunity to review your emergency plan. Emergencies can happen unexpectedly in communities just like yours, to people just like you. Tornado outbreaks, river floods, flash floods, historic earthquakes, and even water main breaks and power outages in U.S. cities affecting millions of people for days at a time.
The more you know about what to do in an emergency, the more confident and secure you will feel in your abilities to manage through a disaster. Preparation is the key to making it through any size disaster, whether it is a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but now, you can plan for it. Contact your local SERVPRO of Abilene (325)672-5661 for more information and tools to help you be "Ready for whatever happens."
Tips for Recovering from Storm Damage
Stepping outside your home after a severe storm can be traumatic. The damage to your home and property may range from light to severe. You can take heart that a restoration specialist located in Paris, TX, should be able to help you clean up and rebuild from almost any damage. Before help arrives, you can use these storm tips to begin recovery.
Safety is your first priority. Look for downed power lines, trees that were weakened and are at risk of falling, potential structural damage to your home, and any other dangerous storm destruction.
Make these storm tips fun by having an adventure. Attitude can make a huge difference in how you and your family fare before help arrives. A cheerful, adventurous attitude can drive shock away and lift everyone’s spirits, especially if you have children with you. If you have to spend a night or two outside, frame it as a camping trip.
Whether you are alone or with your family, try to get together with other people, especially neighbors who may also be alone or need help. Hardship can bring out the best in many people. You can band together to accomplish much that you couldn’t otherwise manage, such as food preparation, shelter setup or cleanup, or even fire starting if it’s particularly cold weather.
Search safely to find a radio, television, telephone, or other useful communications device. News channels and emergency broadcasts can provide valuable guidance to help you know when you may expect rescue crews.
If help is likely to be more than a day away, water could be the biggest threat to the health of you and your family. Stored water can be a real help. If you don’t have safe water, be sure to purify the water you can find. Here are a few ways to purify water: • Boiling • Iodine solution • Chlorine drops • Filtering Following these storm tips can go a long way toward ensuring your family’s safe recovery from the effects of storm damage. If you live in Abilene Texas, consider contacting a restoration company. These companies specialize in cleaning up after most types of disasters and can even help with general home problems.
SERVPRO of Abilene is always here to help!
Fire Safety Tips
Check our website for more tips SERVPROOfAbilene.com
Did you know that if a fire starts in your homeyou may have as little as two minutes to escape?During a fire, early warning from a working smoke alarm plus a fire escape plan that has been practiced regularly can save lives. Learn what else to do to keep your loved ones safe!
Top Tips for Fire Safety
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home,GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP.
- Never go back inside for anything or anyone.
- And after you’ve done all you can, executed your fire safety plan and the fire is put out, remember that SERVPRO is dedicated to responding immediately, day or night, to yourhome or business. A faster response helps to prevent secondary damage and to reduce cost.
- Tips from the American Red Cross <http://www.redcross.org/get-help/prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/fire>
EVERY YEAR, NFPA surveys a sample of public fire departments in the United States, stratified by the size of the community they protect, to project national estimates of the country’s fire problem. Based upon the data we received in response to our 2015 National Fire Experience Survey, we estimate that public fire departments in the U.S. responded to 1,345,500 fires last year, a highly significant increase of 3.7 percent from 2014.
SERVPRO of Abilene can help you get your life back in order!
Storm Damage Causing Water Damage
We were awoken recently to significant rain falling outside of our houses today and know that especially in Abilene rain can quickly lead to flooding. This rain may showcase, in the worst possible way, a leak you were unaware of in your roof. You do not want to ignore the small leaks, as they have a tendency to quickly become larger. We have crews available to tarp roofs, when safe, as well as perform water remediation to dry your home properly to help prevent secondary damage.
If the rain continues as predicted, you may face rising flood waters if you live in a flood zone and sometimes, unfortunately, even when you don't. Flood waters are highly contaminated and require an expert to remediate. Call us at the first sign of water intrusion and for some tips while you wait visit our website for water damage tips, SERVPROOfAbilene.com
SERVPRO of Abilene is here for any of your weather related remediation needs.
Overnight Storm Causes Damage
We were awoken to significant rain falling outside of our houses last night and know that especially in Abilene rain can quickly lead to flooding. This rain may showcase, in the worst possible way, a leak you were unaware of in your roof. You do not want to ignore the small leaks, as they have a tendency to quickly become larger. We have crews available to tarp roofs, when safe, as well as perform water remediation to dry your home properly to help prevent secondary damage.
If the rain continues as predicted, you may face rising flood waters if you live in a flood zone and sometimes, unfortunately, even when you don't. Flood waters are highly contaminated and require an expert to remediate. Call us at the first sign of water intrusion and for some tips while you wait visit our website SERVPROOfAbilene.com.
SERVPRO of Abilene is here for any of your weather related remediation needs. Don't allow a rainy day to damage your home or office. Call your Abilene Storm cleanup experts at (325)672-5661
Water Damage Tips in Abilene
Water damage can occur in Abilene for many reasons and is an unpleasant experience. Most homeowners have never experienced a water damage and therefore do not know where to start when a pipe burst, a toilet overflows, a washing machine malfunctions, or a flood occurs. If you wake up or come home to water in your house that was not there before, there are several steps you can take to help stop further damage.
What To Do After Water Damage
- Contact your local SERVPRO of Abilene professionals at (325)672-5661
- Ensure the home is safe to enter and be aware of the potential for fall hazards
- Turn off the water either at the site of the water damage or at the main if you cannot determine where the water is coming from
- Gather any sentimental items or important documents that you do not want to get wet if they are still dry and move them away from the water damage
SERVPRO of Abilene will be there quickly to begin the remediation process and allow you to relax while we do the necessary steps in the water restoration process.